Re: A note about debugging TAP failures

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A note about debugging TAP failures
Date: 2017-04-23 09:14:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 02:05:13PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-04-22 16:22:59 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
> >
> > > I think leaving the directory around in case of failures would be a
> > > pretty bare minimum. It's sometimes also useful to keep the remains if
> > > everything was apparently successfull, but it's far less important imo.
> >
> > In the particular case I was interested in here, the test script thought
> > everything was successful :-(. I'm working on fixing that little problem,
> > but I do not believe that the TAP scripts are so bulletproof that there
> > will never be a need to override their judgment.
>
> Agreed. If paths are reproducible and cleaned up on next run it's also
> much less of an issue to just leave them around till the next run.
> Which we imo also should do for non-failing tmp_check directories.

In general yes, but I think it should be checked what the overall
storage requirements will be if one set of all data directories is kept
around.

I was surprised the src/bin/pg_basebackup/t TAP tests took up several
hundred megabytes (IIRC) when I ran them, so if other tests are similar,
it might make a few animals run out of diskspace as soon as this is
deployed without a heads-up to the operators.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach