Re: A note about debugging TAP failures

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A note about debugging TAP failures
Date: 2017-04-22 22:06:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-04-22 23:59:11 +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Since we have the name of the running testscript, can’t we just add that to the
> tempdir to make the name more descriptive? With the attached patch I get
> tmp_check/001_pgbench_data_main_ItEm when running tests in src/bin/pgbench for
> example which gives a decent clue to what was executed. To allow for
> retain-on-success, checking for an environment variable in the cleanup phase
> seems the simplest approach.

Because it means we'd still, by default, have to delete on
failure. Otherwise you'd end up with an endless number of such partial
directories. There's really no reason to do delete a failed directory
ever, since the space usage is obviously bound.

As there appears to be no benefit in the randomness of these
directories, why work on retaining it?

- Andres