Re: A note about debugging TAP failures

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: A note about debugging TAP failures
Date: 2017-04-22 19:45:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2017-04-22 13:51:30 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I think we need to fix TestLib and/or PostgresNode so that there's a way
> to make TAP tests not auto-clean their data directories at end of run,
> without having to resort to editing the script like this.

I think leaving the directory around in case of failures would be a
pretty bare minimum. It's sometimes also useful to keep the remains if
everything was apparently successfull, but it's far less important imo.

To me it sounds like we shouldn't use a randomly generated temporary
name, but rather a static mapping based on the test's path or such, to
create the relevant temp directory. Before a start a test could then
clean that up, that way the amount of remaining cruft would be bound by
the number of tests.

Greetings,

Andres Freund