Re: Interval for launching the table sync worker

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interval for launching the table sync worker
Date: 2017-04-21 08:33:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

At Thu, 20 Apr 2017 13:21:14 +0900, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in <CAD21AoDrw0OaHE=oVRRhQX248kjJ7W+1ViM3K76aP46HnHJsnQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 12:30 AM, Petr Jelinek
> <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > On 19/04/17 15:57, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> >> Yeah, sorry, I meant that we don't want to wait but cannot launch the
> >> tablesync worker in such case.
> >>
> >> But after more thought, the latest patch Peter proposed has the same
> >> problem. Perhaps we need to scan always whole pg_subscription_rel and
> >> remove the entry if the corresponding table get synced.
> >>

> > Yes that's what I mean by "Why can't we just update the hashtable based
> > on the catalog". And if we do that then I don't understand why do we
> > need both hastable and linked list if we need to update both based on
> > catalog reads anyway.
>
> Thanks, I've now understood correctly. Yes, I think you're right. If
> we update the hash table based on the catalog whenever table state is
> invalidated, we don't need to have both hash table and list.

Ah, ok. The patch from Peter still generating and replacing the
content of the list. The attached patch stores everything into
SubscriptionRelState. Oppositte to my anticiation, the hash can
be efectively kept small and removed.

> BTW, in current HEAD the SUBREL_STATE_SYNCWAIT is not stored in the
> pg_subscription_catalog. So the following condition seems not correct.
> We should use "syncworker->relstate == SUBSCRIPTION_STATE_SYNCWAIT"
> instead?

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Wait-between-tablesync-worker-restarts_v2.patch text/x-patch 8.6 KB