Re: Hash support for grouping sets

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hash support for grouping sets
Date: 2017-03-23 18:42:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-03-23 03:43:57 +0000, Andrew Gierth wrote:

> Andres> Changes to advance_aggregates() are, in my experience, quite
> Andres> likely to have performance effects. This needs some
> Andres> performance tests.
> [...]
> Andres> Looks like it could all be noise, but it seems worthwhile to
> Andres> look into some.
>
> Trying to sort out signal from noise when dealing with performance
> impacts of no more than a few percent is _extremely hard_ these days.

Indeed. But that doesn't mean we needn't try. With some determination
and profiling you can often sepearate signal from noise - I managed to
track down 0.12% regressions in the expression evaluation work...

> I will go ahead and do this, out of sheer curiosity if nothing else,
> but the preliminary results suggest there's probably nothing worth
> holding up the patch for.

Agreed. I'd want to run one more profile, checking whether the profiles
indicate new hotspots, but other than that...

Greetings,

Andres Freund