Re: WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: Faster Expression Processing v4
Date: 2017-03-23 17:40:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2017-03-23 13:14:59 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Looking at some of the coding choices you made here, I see that you're
> making a hard assumption that called functions never scribble on their
> fcinfo->arg/argnull arrays. I do not believe that we've ever had such
> an assumption before.

I think we did that before, e.g. ExecEvalScalarArrayOp(). Think there's
others too.

> Are we comfortable with that? If so, we'd better document it.

I think it's ok, but we indeed should document it. I recall a note
somewhere... Can't find it anywhere however, might have misremembered a
note about pass-by-ref arguments. fmgr/README? A note in
FunctionCallInfoData's definition?

Greetings,

Andres Freund