Re: brin autosummarization -- autovacuum "work items"

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: brin autosummarization -- autovacuum "work items"
Date: 2017-03-21 20:01:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro wrote:

> Another thought about this design: Why autovacuum?

One reason is that autovacuum is already there, so it's convenient to
give it the responsibility for this kind of task. Another reason is
that autovacuum is already doing this, via vacuum. I don't see the
need to have a completely different process set for tasks that belong to
the system's cleanup process.

With this infrastructure, we could have other types of individual tasks
that could be run by autovacuum. GIN pending list cleanup, for
instance, or VM bit setting. Both of those are currently being doing
whenever VACUUM fires, but only because at the time they were written
there was no other convenient place to hook them onto.