Re: GSOC - TOAST'ing in slices

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: George Papadrosou <gpapadrosou(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GSOC - TOAST'ing in slices
Date: 2017-03-16 20:41:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

George,

* George Papadrosou (gpapadrosou(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Stephen, you mentioned PostGIS, but the conversation seems to lean towards JSONB. What are your thoughts?

Both are important. I brought up PostGIS specifically because it's an
external project which could benefit from this work and to explain that
PostgreSQL can be extended to beyond the built-in data types. Focusing
on JSONB to start seems alright but keep in mind that we'll want to have
a way to let PostGIS do whatever it is we do for JSONB in core.

> Also, if I am to include some ideas/approaches in the proposal, it seems I should really focus on understanding how a specific data type is used, queried and indexed, which is a lot of exploring for a newcomer in postgres code.

This is true, but, really, the sooner the better. :) While it's not a
small amount to go through it's also really pretty clean code, in
general, so hopefully you won't have too much trouble. I would
recommend jumping on irc.freenode.net to the #postgresql channel where
you can find a number of PostgreSQL hacker who are generally quite happy
to answer specific questions you may have as you go through the code.

> In the meanwhile, I am trying to find how jsonb is indexed and queried. After I grasp the current situation I will be to think about new approaches.

I would suggest you make sure that you first understand how TOAST works
generally and review the on-disk storage format before jumping in to try
and understand jsonb indexing and queries. Would be good to also
understand how the PGLZ compression works.

Thanks!

Stephen