Re: pg_stat_wal_write statistics view

From: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_wal_write statistics view
Date: 2017-03-15 22:55:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 02:53:44PM +1100, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> Here I attached patch that implements the view.
> I will add this patch to next commitfest.

Hello,

I just reviewed the patch.

First, there are some whitespace issues that make git-apply complaining (at
least lines 218 and 396).

Patch is rather straightforward and works as expected, doc compiles without
issue.

I only found some minor issues:

+ <entry>One row only, showing statistics about the
+ wal writing activity. See

+ <entry>Number of wal writes that are carried out by the backend process</entry>

WAL should be uppercase (and for some more occurences).

+ <entry>
+ Number of wal writes that are carried out by background workers such as checkpointer,
+ writer and walwriter.

I guess you meant backgroung processes?

>+ This field data will be populated only when the track_io_timing GUC is enabled
(and similar occurences)

track_io_timing should link to <xref linkend="guc-track-io-timing"> instead of
mentionning GUC.

I think you also need to update the track_io_timing description in
sgml/config.sgml to mention this new view.

+ else
+ {
+ LocalWalWritesStats.m_wal_total_write_time = 0;
+ }
(and similar ones)

The brackets seem unnecessary.

I marked the commitfest entry as waiting on author.

--
Julien Rouhaud
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org