Leftover invalidation handling in RemoveRelations

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Leftover invalidation handling in RemoveRelations
Date: 2017-03-15 18:40:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

reviewing some citus code copied from postgres I noticed that
RemoveRelations() has the following bit:

/*
* These next few steps are a great deal like relation_openrv, but we
* don't bother building a relcache entry since we don't need it.
*
* Check for shared-cache-inval messages before trying to access the
* relation. This is needed to cover the case where the name
* identifies a rel that has been dropped and recreated since the
* start of our transaction: if we don't flush the old syscache entry,
* then we'll latch onto that entry and suffer an error later.
*/
AcceptInvalidationMessages();

/* Look up the appropriate relation using namespace search. */
state.relkind = relkind;
state.heapOid = InvalidOid;
state.concurrent = drop->concurrent;
relOid = RangeVarGetRelidExtended(rel, lockmode, true,
false,
RangeVarCallbackForDropRelation,
(void *) &state);

which doesn't seem to make sense - RangeVarGetRelidExtended does
invalidation handling on it's own.

Looks like this was left there in the course of
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=2ad36c4e44c8b513f6155656e1b7a8d26715bb94

ISTM AcceptInvalidationMessages() and preceding comment should just be
removed?

Greetings,

Andres Freund