Re: Allow pg_dumpall to work without pg_authid

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Sachin Kotwal <kotsachin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow pg_dumpall to work without pg_authid
Date: 2017-03-15 13:56:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Sachin Kotwal (kotsachin(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Thanks. I understand this is small but new feature and not bug fix.
> But we should be able to backpatch if there is no dependency.

No, it's a new feature and won't be back-patched.

> It will help users to get benefit of this feature for g96 and pg95 in RDS
> until they will have pg10 in RDS.

There is no need to wait for pg10 to be in RDS to use PG10's pg_dumpall
against RDS databases. pg_dump and pg_dumpall are very intentionally
designed and intended to work against older versions of PG, so as soon
as PG10 is released you'll be able to run PG10's pg_dumpall against your
9.6 or 9.5 RDS databases.

> If It is against community policy then it is ok. I can understand.

It is against community policy to back-patch features.

Thanks!

Stephen