Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speed up Clog Access by increasing CLOG buffers
Date: 2017-03-10 22:19:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

> The smoking gun was in 009_twophase_slave.log:
>
> TRAP: FailedAssertion("!(nsubxids == MyPgXact->nxids)", File:
> "clog.c", Line: 288)
>
> ...and then the node shuts down, which is why this hangs forever.
> (Also... what's up with it hanging forever instead of timing out or
> failing or something?)

This bit my while messing with 2PC tests recently. I think it'd be
worth doing something about this, such as causing the test to die if we
request a server to (re)start and it doesn't start or it immediately
crashes. This doesn't solve the problem of a server crashing at a point
not immediately after start, though.

(It'd be very annoying to have to sprinkle the Perl test code with
"assert $server->islive", but perhaps we can add assertions of some kind
in PostgresNode itself).