Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date: 2017-03-10 19:43:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-03-10 01:59:53 -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 3/8/17 16:49, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> make check-world -j2 seems to run fine for me.
> >
> > Hm, I at least used to get a lot of spurious failures with this. I
> > e.g. don't think the free port selection is race free.
>
> I was also not sure about that, but as Michael has pointed out, that
> doesn't matter anymore, because it now uses a private socket directory.

Yea, I had forgotten about that bit.

> I have been pounding it a bit, and every so often the test_decoding
> tests fail in mysterious ways, but otherwise it seems to work fine. I'm
> curious what you are seeing.

I do get regular issues, although the happen to not end up in visible
failures. All the tests output their regression.diffs into the same
place - which means there'll every now be a failure to remove the file,
and if there were an actual failure it'd possibly end up being
attributed to the wrong test. So I think we need to relocate that file
to be relative to the sql/ | specs/ | expected/ directories?

Curious about the test decoding thing - hadn't seen that here.

Greetings,

Andres Freund