Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Need a builtin way to run all tests faster manner
Date: 2017-03-08 04:23:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2017-03-07 20:58:35 +0800, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 7 March 2017 at 20:36, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > FWIW, +1 on improving matters here.
>
> +1 also.
>
> I don't see what's wrong with relying on buildfarm though; testing is
> exactly what its there for.
>
> If we had a two-stage process, where committers can issue "trial
> commits" as a way of seeing if the build farm likes things. If they
> do, we can push to the main repo.

Personally that's not addressing my main concern, which is that the
latency of getting done with some patch/topic takes a long while. If I
have to wait for the buildfarm to check some preliminary patch, I still
have to afterwards work on pushing it to master. And very likely my
local check would finish a lot faster than a bunch of buildfarm animals
- I have after all a plenty powerfull machine, lots of cores, fast ssd,
lots of memory, ...

So I really want faster end-to-end test, not less cpu time spent on my
own machine.

- Andres