Re: Disallowing multiple queries per PQexec()

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disallowing multiple queries per PQexec()
Date: 2017-02-28 14:13:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 09:04:29AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Surafel Temesgen <surafel3000(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > This assignment is on todo list and has a benefit of providing an
> > additional defense against SQL-injection attacks.
>
> This is on the todo list? Really? It seems unlikely to be worth the
> backwards-compatibility breakage. I certainly doubt that we could
> get away with unconditionally rejecting such cases with no "off" switch,
> as you have here.
>
> > Previous mailing list discussion is here
> > <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/9236.1167968298@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>
> That message points out specifically that we *didn't* plan to do this.
> Perhaps back then (ten years ago) we could have gotten away with the
> compatibility breakage, but now I doubt it.

I might have added that one; the text is:

Consider disallowing multiple queries in PQexec()
as an additional barrier to SQL injection attacks

and it is a "consider" item. Should it be moved to the Wire Protocol
Changes / v4 Protocol section or removed?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +