Re: pg_dump emits ALTER TABLE ONLY partitioned_table

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump emits ALTER TABLE ONLY partitioned_table
Date: 2017-02-17 13:32:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit,

* Amit Langote (Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp) wrote:
> In certain cases, pg_dump's dumpTableSchema() emits a separate ALTER TABLE
> command for those schema elements of a table that could not be included
> directly in the CREATE TABLE command for the table.

Any chance we could start adding regression tests for how pg_dump
handles partitions? I'm just about to the point where I have pretty
much everything else covered (at least in pg_dump.c, where it's not a
hard-to-reproduce error/exit case, or something version-dependent).

If you have any questions about how the TAP tests for pg_dump work, or
about how to generate code-coverage checks to make sure you're at least
hitting every line (tho, of course, not every possible path), let me
know. I'd be happy to explain them.

Thanks!

Stephen