BUG #14525: select <function>.* takes extremely long time

From: martin(dot)langwisch(at)gmx(dot)net
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14525: select <function>.* takes extremely long time
Date: 2017-02-02 09:05:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 14525
Logged by: Martin Langwisch
Email address: martin(dot)langwisch(at)gmx(dot)net
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
Operating system: openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64)

I have a function f that returns a composite type.
The following query:
select f().*
takes about ten times as long as either
select f()
or
select (f).* from (select f() as f) a;

It doesn't matter whether the function returns a composite type or a set of
composite type.

This behaviour strikes me as odd, to say the least and it took me quite some
time to find out why my code was so slow.

yours
Martin