Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: mithun cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.
Date: 2017-01-23 23:37:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I took a look at this again, and it doesn't appear to be working for me. The library is being loaded during startup, but I don't see any further activity in the log, and I don't see an autoprewarm file in $PGDATA.

There needs to be some kind of documentation change as part of this patch.

I'm not sure the default GUC setting of 0 makes sense. If you've loaded the module, presumably you want it to be running. I think it'd be nice if the GUC had a -1 setting that meant to use checkpoint_timeout.

Having the GUC be restart-only is also pretty onerous. I don't think it'd be hard to make the worker respond to a reload... there's code in the autovacuum launcher you could use as an example.

I'm also wondering if this really needs to be a permanently running process... perhaps the worker could simply be started as necessary? Though maybe that means it wouldn't run at shutdown. Also not sure if it could be relaunched when a reload happens.

I'm marking this as waiting on author for now, because it's not working for me and needs documentation.

The new status of this patch is: Waiting on Author