Re: delta relations in AFTER triggers

From: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: delta relations in AFTER triggers
Date: 2017-01-19 22:14:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 08:15:49PM -0600, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 11:35 PM, Haribabu Kommi
> <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Moved to next CF with "waiting on author" status.
>
> [...]

I hope what I've done about delta relations will be mostly irrelevant
given your patch (which I've not looked at in detail), but just FYI,
I've built an alternate, all-SQL-coded materialized view system that
captures deltas between refreshes and deltas from direct DMLs of the
materialized view:

https://github.com/twosigma/postgresql-contrib/blob/master/pseudo_mat_views.sql

There are some good ideas there, IMO, even if that implementation were
useless because of your patch.

Incidentally, it's really nice that PG has some "higher order" SQL
features that make this sort of thing easier. In particular, here, row
values and record types, and being able to refer to a table as a column
of the table's record type.

Nico