Re: Implement targetlist SRFs using ROWS FROM() (was Changed SRF in targetlist handling)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Implement targetlist SRFs using ROWS FROM() (was Changed SRF in targetlist handling)
Date: 2017-01-18 21:47:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2017-01-18 15:24:32 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Yea, have something lying around. Let me push it then when I get back from lunch?
>
> Sure, no sweat.

Pushed. Yay!

There's one sgml comment you'd added:
"Furthermore, nested set-returning functions did not work at all."

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to there - it was previously
allowed to have one set argument to an SRF:

postgres[28758][1]=# SELECT generate_series(1,generate_series(1,5));
┌─────────────────┐
│ generate_series │
├─────────────────┤
│ 1 │
│ 1 │
│ 2 │
│ 1 │
│ 2 │
│ 3 │

Am I misunderstanding what you meant? I left it in what I committed,
but we probably should clear up the language there.

Working on rebasing the cleanup patch now. Interested in reviewing
that? Otherwise I think I'll just push the rebased version of what I'd
posted before, after making another pass through it.

- Andres