Re: Patch to implement pg_current_logfile() function

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gilles Darold <gilles(dot)darold(at)dalibo(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to implement pg_current_logfile() function
Date: 2017-01-18 21:08:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 15:52:36 -0500

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Karl O. Pinc <kop(at)meme(dot)com> wrote:
> > Seems to me that the file format should
> > be documented if there's any intention that the end user
> > look at or otherwise use the file's content.
> >
> > It's fine with me if the content of current_logfiles
> > is supposed to be internal to PG and not exposed
> > to the end user. I'm writing to make sure that
> > this is a considered decision.
>
> On the whole, documenting it seems better than documenting it,
> provided there's a logical place to include it in the existing
> documentation.
>
> But, anyway, Michael shouldn't remove it without some explanation or
> discussion.

He explained that where it was looked clunky, it being
inside a table that otherwise has rows that are not tall.

And, it looks like I'm wrong. The format is documented
by way of an example in section 19.8.1. Where To Log
under log_destination (string).

Sorry for the bother.

I would like to see index entries for "current_logfiles"
so this stuff is findable.

Regards.

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein