Re: Reporting planning time with EXPLAIN

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reporting planning time with EXPLAIN
Date: 2016-12-27 14:26:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ashutosh,

* Ashutosh Bapat (ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com) wrote:
> We report planning and execution time when EXPLAIN ANALYZE is issued.
> We do not have facility to report planning time as part EXPLAIN
> output. In order to get the planning time, one has to issue EXPLAIN
> ANALYZE which involves executing the plan, which is unnecessary.

+1, that seems like a useful thing to have.

> The discussion referred to seems to be [1]. Here's patch to expose the
> "summary" option as mentioned in the last paragraph of above commit
> message. Right now I have named it as "summary", but I am fine if we
> want to change it to something meaningful. "timing" already has got
> some other usage, so can't use it here.

After reading that, rather long, thread, I agree that just having it be
'summary' is fine. We don't really want to make it based off of
'timing' or 'costs' or 'verbose', those are different things.

I've only briefly looked at the patch so far, but it seemed pretty
straight-forward. If there aren't objections, I'll see about getting
this committed later this week.

I will point out that it'd still be nice to have something like
'explain (I WANT IT ALL)', but that's a different feature and has its
own challenges, so let's not argue about it here.

Thanks!

Stephen