Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Implement table partitioning.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <rhaas(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Implement table partitioning.
Date: 2016-12-20 17:22:14
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> Implement table partitioning.

I thought it was odd to use rd_rel->reloftype as a boolean in
ATExecAttachPartition, but apparently we do it elsewhere too, so let's
leave that complaint for another day.

What I also found off in the same function is that we use
SearchSysCacheCopyAttName() on each attribute and then don't free the
result, and don't ever use the returned tuple either. A simple fix, I
thought, just remove the "Copy" and add a ReleaseSysCache(). But then I
noticed this whole thing is rather strange -- why not pass a boolean
flag down to CreateInheritance() and from there to
MergeAttributesIntoExisting() to implement the check? That seems less
duplicative.