Re: Wraparound warning

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wraparound warning
Date: 2016-10-25 17:32:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 01:19:26PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Do we still need to report the wraparound warning on server startup?
> >
> > LOG: MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled
> >
> > I thought that was going to be removed at some point, no?
>
> If you start with a 9.3.small cluster and do a pg_upgrade to 10, you
> could end up not seeing that message and not having those protections
> enabled, and it would be useful to be able to tell that from looking
> at the log.

Uh, I am confused. I am seeing this on a fresh PG 10 initdb'ed cluster,
not one pg_upgraded. Is that expected?

> Maybe what we should do (since this message obviously annoys everyone)

It is a persistent reminder our of engineering failure. I guess it
should annoy us, and maybe that's OK.

> is change things so that, starting in v10, a message is logged at
> startup if those protections are NOT enabled, and nothing is logged if
> they are enabled. Keep the message for the case where protections are
> enabled later, after startup time.

How are those protections enabled/disabled?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +