BUG #14393: Querry plan creation time is too long

From: ufaowl(at)gmail(dot)com
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #14393: Querry plan creation time is too long
Date: 2016-10-24 13:04:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 14393
Logged by: Vadim Akbashev
Email address: ufaowl(at)gmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 9.5.4
Operating system: Centos 6.8

Hello!
I have two questions concerning choosing\creation time of querry plan
regaring default_statistic_target parameter. I noticed that querry plan
creation time increases when default_statistic_target is more than 1000. It
reaches 14 sec for database without any load when default_statistic_target =
10 000.
I wonder:
1) Is such behavior considered normal? If it is, where I can get
documentation regulating this?
2) Is there any way to limit querry plan creation time?
Thank you!

P.S. Here are some examples:
1:
statistic_target=500
querry plan creation time = 464ms
pg_statistics size = 928 kb, 1912 kb toast, 72 kb index
2:
statistic_target = 10000
querry plan creation time = 14,3 sec
pg_statistics size = 928 kb, 10 MB toast, 72 kb index