Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.
Date: 2016-10-19 16:29:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 04:51:54PM +0200, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> > 2. Being able to move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace
> >    *without* turning on system_table_mods. This is important for
> >    people storing LOTS of large-objects on separate
> >    disks (non-SSD) and hence in a different tablespace.
> > Anyone willing to discuss this?
> >
> This was proposed a few years ago but no one cared to draft a patch.
>

> So that why I'm re-raising the issue:-)
> Having "everything in the database" adds lots of benefits, conceptually
> (follows tx-semantics, consistent backups etc.), however it's currently not so
> easy in practice.

Yeah, rereading that old thread was interesting, and unfortunate that no
one mentioned the system catalog change would break pg_upgrade, though
pg_upgrade was not popular at the time that thread was started.

I think an open question is why you would not want to move the other
system tables at the same time you move pg_largeobject.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +