Re: macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <julien(dot)rouhaud(at)dalibo(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: macaddr 64 bit (EUI-64) datatype support
Date: 2016-10-12 12:32:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> and you can instead make macaddr64 support both format, and provide a
> macaddr::macaddr64 cast

Having macaddr64 support both formats sounds nice, but how does it work?
Will we have to reserve one additional bit to select the representation?
That would make the type be 65 bits which is a clear loser IMO.

Is it allowed to just leave 16 bits as zeroes which would indicate that
the address is EUI48? I wouldn't think so ...