Re: pg_upgrade documentation improvement patch

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade documentation improvement patch
Date: 2016-10-10 00:24:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 10:36:30AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 3:42 AM, Yuri Niyazov <yuri(at)academia(dot)edu> wrote:
> > Should I update the documentation patch to instruct the use of
> > pg_controldata exclusively?
>
> I guess so. Marked as returned with feedback because the thread has died.

I did review this suggestion and concur that there just isn't enough
justification to list in the docs everything pg_upgrade checks for
compatibility, and a partial list might be worse than no list at all.

I agree it would be nice if we could somehow pull the initdb flags out
of a PGDATA and use them.

The good news is that pg_upgrade --check will do the verification and
report any problems, which might be why we have not seems this
complained about before.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +