Re: pgbench - allow backslash continuations in \set expressions

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - allow backslash continuations in \set expressions
Date: 2016-10-03 12:46:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Fabien COELHO 2016-10-03 <alpine(dot)DEB(dot)2(dot)20(dot)1610031259400(dot)19411(at)lancre>
> > I "\set" a bunch of lengthy SQL commands in there, e.g.
>
> I agree that this looks like a desirable feature, however I would tend to
> see that as material for another independent patch.

Sure, my question was by no means intending to stop your pgbench patch
from going forward by adding extra requirements.

> Hmmm. I'm not sure how this is parsed. If this is considered a string '...',
> then maybe \set should wait for the end of the string instead of the end of
> the line, i.e. no continuation would be needed...
>
> \set config '
> SELECT name, ...
> CASE ... END
> FROM pg_settings
> WHERE ...;'

I guess that would be the sane solution here, yes. Not adding any \
chars at the end of the line would also mean cut-and-paste of the RHS
content would work.

Thanks for the feedback!

Christoph