Re: ICU integration

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Doug Doole <ddoole(at)salesforce(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ICU integration
Date: 2016-09-22 03:16:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 12:19:39PM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 9/8/16 11:16 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > This is a problem, if ICU won't guarantee cross-version compatibility,
> > because it destroys the argument that moving to ICU would offer us
> > collation behavior stability.
>
> It would offer a significant upgrade over the current situation.
>
> First, it offers stability inside the same version. Whereas glibc might
> change a collation in a minor upgrade, ICU won't do that. And the
> postgres binary is bound to a major version of ICU by the soname (which
> changes with every major release). So this would avoid the situation
> that a simple OS update could break collations.

Uh, how do we know that ICU doesn't change collations in minor versions?
Couldn't we get into a case where the OS changes the ICU version or
collations more frequently than glibc does? Seems that would be a
negative.

I don't see how having our binary bound to a ICU major version gives us
any benefit.

It seems we are still hostage to the OS version.

> Second, it offers a way to detect that something has changed. With
> glibc, you don't know anything unless you read the source diffs. With
> ICU, you can compare the collation version before and after and at least
> tell the user that they need to refresh indexes or whatever.

Yes, that is a clear win.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +