Re: Logical decoding slots can go backwards when used from SQL, docs are wrong

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical decoding slots can go backwards when used from SQL, docs are wrong
Date: 2016-09-02 17:21:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016-09-02 10:50:17 +0200, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> Okay that sounds reasonable, the SQL interface is already somewhat different
> than walsender as it does not really "stream" so makes sense to improve the
> behavior there. As a side note, I would really like to have cursor-like SQL
> interface which behaves more like walsender one but that's very different
> patch.

FWIW, with the changes in https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160827214829.zo2dfb5jaikii5nw@alap3.anarazel.de
thats starting to be realistic for a function based interface. By
switching things over to ValuePerCall mode you could actually use a
cursor, without pre-materializing all changes.

Greetings,

Andres Freund