Re: Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal for changes to recovery.conf API
Date: 2016-08-31 19:01:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2016-08-31 17:15:59 +0100, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com wrote:

> * Recovery parameters would now be part of the main postgresql.conf
> infrastructure
> Any parameters set in $DATADIR/recovery.conf will be read after the
> main parameter file, similar to the way that postgresql.conf.auto is
> read.
> (Abhijit)
>
> * Parameters
> All of the parameters formerly set in recovery.conf can be set in
> postgresql.conf using RELOAD
> These parameters will have no defaults in postgresql.conf.sample
> Setting them has no effect during normal running, or once recovery ends.
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/archive-recovery-settings.html
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/recovery-target-settings.html
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/standby-settings.html
> (Abhijit)

I've attached a WIP patch for the above (recovery_guc_v20160831.patch).
This was based on the unite_recoveryconf_postgresqlconf_v3.patch posted
by Fujii Masao.

Unfortunately, some parts conflict with the patch that Simon just posted
(e.g., his patch removes trigger_file altogether, whereas mine converts
it into a GUC along the lines of the original patch). Rather than trying
to untangle that right now, I'm posting what I have as-is, and I'll post
an updated version tomorrow.

-- Abhijit

Attachment Content-Type Size
recovery_guc_v20160831.patch text/x-diff 105.8 KB