Re: New SQL counter statistics view (pg_stat_sql)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New SQL counter statistics view (pg_stat_sql)
Date: 2016-08-30 17:19:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> Apart from the above, here are the following list of command tags that
> are generated in the code, I took only the first word of the command tag
> just to see how many categories present. The number indicates the
> subset of operations or number of types it is used. Like create table,
> create function and etc.

Sounds about right. I suppose all those cases that you aggregated here
would expand to full tags in the actual code. I furthermore suppose
that some of these could be ignored, such as the transaction ones and
things like load, lock, move, fetch, discard, deallocate (maybe lump
them all together under "other", or some other rough categorization, as
Tom suggests). Also, for many of these commands it's probably relevant
whether they are acting on a temporary object or not; we should either
count these separately, or not count the temp ones at all.