Re: Missing checks when malloc returns NULL...

From: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Missing checks when malloc returns NULL...
Date: 2016-08-26 15:33:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello, Michael.

Your patch [1] was marked as "Needs review" so I decided to take a look.

It looks good to me. However I found dozens of places in PostgreSQL code
that seem to have similar problem you are trying to fix [2]. As far as I
understand these are only places left that don't check malloc/realloc/
strdup return values properly. I thought maybe you will be willing to
fix they too so we could forget about this problem forever.

If not I will be happy to do it. However in this case we need someone
familiar with affected parts of the code who will be willing to re-check
a new patch since I'm not filling particularly confident about how
exactly errors should be handled in all these cases.

By the way maybe someone knows other procedures besides malloc, realloc
and strdup that require special attention?

[2] http://afiskon.ru/s/15/83287ef7d2_malloc.txt

--
Best regards,
Aleksander Alekseev