Re: UTF-8 docs

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: juergen(at)purtz(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru
Subject: Re: UTF-8 docs
Date: 2016-08-23 14:43:40
Lists: pgsql-docs

>> Really, what change we need, it is conversion from SGML to XML format.
>> It would solve some real problems, such as ability to include diagrams
>> in the docs,

This argument sounds weak to me. Last time when I proposed to include
diagrams in the docs in the pgsql-hackers list, some developers were
against the idea because if the diagram is binary, it's hard to
maintain in git. However up to now, there's no consensus that which
text base diagram source (which allows to generate real diagrams from
it) is good for our purpose. I don't see why just migrating to XML
solves the problem.

(the discussion on diagrams stopped in 2011, as far as I know)
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1307972167.2862.518.camel@core2

Don't get me wrong. I am not against migrating to XML. I just want to
say that let's not pretend that migrating to XML would solve all the
problems we have.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii