Re: pg_bsd_indent - improvements around offsetof and sizeof

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Piotr Stefaniak <postgres(at)piotr-stefaniak(dot)me>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_bsd_indent - improvements around offsetof and sizeof
Date: 2016-08-22 21:33:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 11:47:09AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2016-08-15 18:09:02 +0000, Piotr Stefaniak wrote:
> > > There are more fixes I intend to do, of which the most relevant for
> > > Postgres are:
> > > 1) fixing "function pointer typedef formatting"
> >
> > This alone would warrant a bottle of something rather expensive.
>
> Agreed. I was kind of hoping we could use this for the pgindent run we
> just did, but that is being done just before 9.6 final, which seems too
> close. I suggest we run it once everything is ready, and run it on all
> back-branches so we can backpatch things. The ideal time would probably
> be right after we have done minor releases. The problem is that this is
> going to break queued-up patches, so maybe it has to be done right
> before 10.0 beta, and again, to all back branches too.

I think it doesn't really matter -- surely we don't want to do it just
before some important release, but other than that I don't think there
are any constraints. The amount of pain for large patch maintainers is
unrelated to the timing.

(I sketched a way to mechanically rebase patches across a pgindent run;
I haven't had the chance to try it.)