Re: PATCH: Exclude additional directories in pg_basebackup

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Exclude additional directories in pg_basebackup
Date: 2016-08-17 16:35:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

> Eh ... I doubt very much that it's safe to blow away the entire
> contents of an SLRU between shutdown and startup, even if the data is
> technically transient data that won't be needed again after the system
> is reset.

Hmm. At least async.c (pg_notify) deletes the whole directory at
startup so it's fine, but for the others (pg_serial, pg_subtrans) I
think it'd be saner to keep any "active" files (probably just the
latest). I don't remember how pg_snapshot works, but it's probably fine
to start with an empty subdir (is it possible to export a snapshot from
a prepared transaction?)