Re: regression test for extended query protocol

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: regression test for extended query protocol
Date: 2016-08-04 15:21:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com> wrote:
> > We currently run tests every time a PR is created on github, but I don't
> > think there are any animals running the JDBC test suite
> >
> > We can add tests, what exactly do we want to test. Then setting up an animal
> > to run the tests would be fairly straight forward.
>
> It may be interesting to implement that as a module in the buildfarm
> client I think that any animal could include at will. Just a thought.

Implementing things as buildfarm modules gets boring, though -- consider
for instance that src/test/recovery is only being run by hamster, and
only because you patched the buildfarm client; only Andrew can influence
buildfarm animals into running that test by integrating the module in
the client script, and even that is limited by having to request animal
caretakers to upgrade that script.

If somebody had some spare time to devote to this, I would suggest to
implement something in core that can be used to specify a list of
commands to run, and a list of files-to-be-saved-in-bf-log emitted by
each command. We could have one such base file in the core repo that
specifies some tests to run (such as "make -C src/test/recovery check"),
and an additional file can be given by buildfarm animals to run custom
tests, without having to write BF modules for each thing. With that,
pgsql committers could simply add a new test to be run by all buildfarm
animals by adding it to the list in core.