Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Julian Markwort <julian(dot)markwort(at)uni-muenster(dot)de>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Valery Popov <v(dot)popov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Password identifiers, protocol aging and SCRAM protocol
Date: 2016-07-20 18:12:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Michael Paquier
> > OK, after hacking that for a bit I have finished with option 2 and the
> > set of PG-like set of routines, the use of USE_SSL in the file
> > containing all the SHA functions of OpenBSD has proved to be really
> > ugly, but with a split things are really clear to the eye. The stuff I
> > got builds on OSX, Linux and MSVC. pgcrypto cannot link directly to
> > libpgcommon.a, so I am making it compile directly with the source
> > files, as it is doing on HEAD.
>
> Btw, attached is the patch I did for this part if there is any interest in it.

After quickly eyeballing your patch, I agree with the decision of going
with (2), even if my gut initially told me that (1) would be better
because it'd require less makefile trickery.

I'm surprised that you say pgcrypto cannot link libpgcommon directly.
Is there some insurmountable problem there? I notice your MSVC patch
uses libpgcommon while the Makefile symlinks the files.