Re: OpenSSL 1.1 breaks configure and more

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Subject: Re: OpenSSL 1.1 breaks configure and more
Date: 2016-06-27 18:12:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Andreas Karlsson 2016-06-27 <8a0a5959-0b83-3dc8-d9e7-66ce8c1c5bc7(at)proxel(dot)se>
> > The errors you report make it sound like they broke API compatibility
> > wholesale. Was that really their intent? If so, where are the changes
> > documented?
>
> I do not see that they have documented the removal of the SSL_library_init
> symbol anywhere. They changed the function into a macro in the following
> commit. I guess we have to check for some other symbol, like SSL_new.

I'm not an autoconf expert, but as said in the original mail, I could
get the SSL_library_init check to work, even if that's a macro now:

> - AC_CHECK_LIB(ssl, SSL_library_init, [], [AC_MSG_ERROR([library 'ssl' is required for OpenSSL])])
> + AC_CHECK_LIB([ssl], [SSL_library_init])

(I haven't investigated if that's due to the quoting, the removal of
the extra arguments, or simply because I reran autoreconf.)

> I think much of the above is missing from the release notes I have found. I
> hope they will be more complete at the time of the release. I am working on
> a patch to handle these API changes.
>
> - https://www.openssl.org/news/openssl-1.1.0-notes.html
> - https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/1.1_API_Changes

Nod, I was also disappointed when browsing the API changes document,
given it didn't mention any of the problems I was seeing.

Christoph