Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Avoid extra locks in GetSnapshotData if old_snapshot_threshold <

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)eesti(dot)ee>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Avoid extra locks in GetSnapshotData if old_snapshot_threshold <
Date: 2016-06-16 18:40:39
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2016-06-16 13:19:13 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > On 2016-06-16 12:43:34 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
>
> >> The root of my confusion is: if we prune a tuple, we'll bump the page
> >> LSN, so any session that is still referencing that tuple will error
> >> out as soon as it touches the page on which that tuple used to exist.
> >
> > Right. On the main table. But we don't peform that check on the toast
> > table/pages. So if we prune toast tuples, which are still referenced by
> > (unvacuumed) main relation, we can get into trouble.
>
> I thought that we should never be using visibility information from
> the toast table; that the visibility information in the heap should
> control.

We use visibility information for vacuuming, toast vacuum puts toast
chunk tuples through HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum(), just like for normal
tuples. Otherwise we'd have to collect dead toast tuples during the
normal vacuum, and then do explicit vacuums for those. That'd end up
being pretty expensive.

> If that's the case, how would we prune toast rows without
> pruning the heap?

I'm not sure what you mean? We prune toast tuples by checking xmin/xmax,
and then comparing with OldestXmin. Without STO that's safe, because we
know nobody could lookup up those toast tuples.

> You pointed out that the *reverse* case has an
> option bit -- if that is ever set there could be toasted values
> which would not have a row.

We vacuum toast tables without the main table, by simply calling
vacuum() on the toast relation. So you can get the case that only the
normal relation is vacuumed *or* that only the toast relation is vacuumed.

> Do they still have a line pointer in the heap, like "dead" index
> entries?

You can have non-pruned toast tuples, where any evidence of the
referencing main-heap tuple is gone.

> How are they cleaned up in current production versions?

There's simply no interlock except OldestXmin preveting referenced toast
tuples to be vacuumed, as long as any alive snapshot can read them.

Greetings,

Andres Freund