Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"

From: Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date: 2016-05-04 22:34:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 3 May 2016 23:11:06 -0500
Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Any other thoughts?

I like this quote from Fred Brooks :

`Show me your code and conceal your data structures, and I shall continue to be mystified. Show me your data structures, and I won't usually need your code; it'll be obvious.'

It seems to be confirmed by some rather qualified people :

http://lwn.net/Articles/193245/

I write management applications for businesses, and give _a lot_ of care to the database structure. I find that the number of lines of code that need to be written is strictly inversely correlated to the appropriateness of the database design (meaning that the better the database structure, the lesser code is needed).

Knowing about the many fine functions Postgresql offers also helps, of course.

--
Bien à vous, Vincent Veyron

https://libremen.com
Logiciels de gestion, libres