Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marco Nenciarini <marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Date: 2016-04-24 03:37:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:53:46AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> > Note that we have not marked them as deprecated. We're just giving warnings
> > that they will be deprecated.
>
> But I think that is being said here is that maybe they won't be
> deprecated, at least not any time soon. And therefore maybe we
> shouldn't say so.
>
> Frankly, I think that's right. It is one thing to say that the new
> method is preferred - +1 for that. But the old method is going to
> continue to be used by many people for a long time, and in some cases
> will be superior. That's not something we can deprecate, unless I'm
> misunderstanding the situation.

I agree with Robert. One the one hand we are saying pg_stop_backup()
doesn't work well in psql because you get those two file contents output
that you have to write, and on the other hand we are saying we are going
to deprecate the method that does work well in psql? I must be missing
something too, as that makes no sense.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +