Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Bloom index contrib module

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Bloom index contrib module
Date: 2016-04-09 23:43:32
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 11:50:08AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru> writes:
> > Bloom index contrib module
>
> Would it be possible to dial down the amount of runtime consumed by
> the regression tests for this module?
>
> On my primary dev machine, "make installcheck" in contrib/bloom takes
> 4.5 seconds, which seems a bit excessive when make installcheck across
> all the rest of contrib takes 22 seconds.
>
> On prairiedog, which admittedly is one of the slower buildfarm animals
> (though far from the slowest), the contrib-install-check-C step went
> from 2:54 immediately before this patch went in to 4:28 immediately
> after.
>
> That seems out of line for a single contrib module, especially one of
> unproven usefulness.

I find this added test duration reasonable. If someone identifies a way to
realize similar coverage with lower duration, I'd value that contribution. -1
for meeting some runtime target at the expense of coverage. Older modules
have rather little test coverage, so they're poor as benchmarks.

A feature's lack of usefulness can be a good reason to exclude it from the
tree entirely, but it's a bad reason to slash the feature's test cases. (I
have not evaluated the usefulness of this access method.)