backup tools ought to ensure created backups are durable

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: backup tools ought to ensure created backups are durable
Date: 2016-03-27 23:30:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

As pointed out in
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160327232509.v5wgac5vskusedin@awork2.anarazel.de
our backup tools (i.e. pg_basebackup, pg_dump[all]), currently don't
make any efforts to ensure their output is durable.

I think for backup tools of possibly critical data, that's pretty much
unaceptable.

There's cases where we can't ensure durability (i.e. pg_dump | gzip >
file), but it's out of our hands in that case.

Greetings,

Andres Freund