Re: multivariate statistics v14

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multivariate statistics v14
Date: 2016-03-26 09:18:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Fair point. Attached is v18 of the patch, after pgindent cleanup.

Here are some feedbacks to v18 patch.

1) regarding examples in create_statistics manual

Here are numbers I got. "with statistics" referrers to the case where
multivariate statistics are used. "without statistics" referrers to the
case where multivariate statistics are not used. The numbers denote
estimated_rows/actual_rows. Thus closer to 1.0 is better. Some numbers
are shown as a fraction to avoid 0 division. In my understanding case
1, 3, 4 showed that multivariate statistics superior.

with statistics without statistics
case1 0.98 0.01
case2 98/0 1/0
case3 1.05 0.01
case4 1/0 103/0
case5 18.50 18.33
case6 111123/0 1111123/0

2) following comments by me are not addressed in the v18 patch.

> - There's no docs for pg_mv_statistic (should be added to "49. System
> Catalogs")
>
> - The word "multivariate statistics" or something like that should
> appear in the index.
>
> - There are some explanation how to deal with multivariate statistics
> in "14.1 Using Explain" and "14.2 Statistics used by the Planner"
> section.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii