Re: [PROPOSAL] Add SCTP network protocol to postgresql backend and frontend

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
Cc: Eduardo Morras <emorrasg(at)yahoo(dot)es>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Add SCTP network protocol to postgresql backend and frontend
Date: 2016-03-23 13:13:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Karlsson escribió:
> On 03/23/2016 01:55 PM, Eduardo Morras wrote:
> >Benefits:
> >
> >Dynamic multihoming, modifiable at run time, don't need aggregate links at OS level or shutdown servers/clients for a hardware or topology network change.
> >Message oriented connection.
> >Message reliability.
> >Inmune to SYN floods that affect tcp.
> >Assimetric multihoming, a client with 4 links(3x 1GbEth + wifi) can connect to a server with 1 link (10GbEth).
> >Metadata connection messages.
>
> While SCTP has some nice advantages in general (I think it is a pity it is
> not used more) I wonder how well these benefits translate into the database
> space. Many databases are run either in a controlled server environment with
> no direct access from the Internet, or locally on the same machine as the
> application. In those environments you generally do not have to worry about
> SYN floods or asymmetric links.

That might or might not be the most common cases, but replication across
the ocean and similar long-range setups are a reality today and their use
will only increase.

I wonder about message ordering. Is it possible to get messages out of
order in SCTP? Say if you have an ordered resultset stream from the
server, it would be disastrous to get the data messages out of order.