Re: Background Processes and reporting

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Background Processes and reporting
Date: 2016-03-11 21:22:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016-03-11 23:53:15 +0300, Vladimir Borodin wrote:
> It was many times stated in threads about waits monitoring [0, 1, 2]
> and supported by different people, but ultimately waits information
> was stored in PgBackendStatus.

Only that it isn't. It's stored in PGPROC. This criticism is true of
the progress reporting patch, but a quick scan of the thread doesn't
show authors of the wait events patch participating there.

> Can’t we think one more time about implementation provided by Ildus
> and Alexander here [3]?

I don't think so. Afaics the proposed patch tried to do too many things
at once, and it's authors didn't listen well to criticism. Trying to go
back to that seems like a surefire way to have nothing in 9.6.

> Seems that current implementation doesn’t give reasonable ways to
> implement all that features and it is really sad.

Why is that?

Andres Freund