Re: pgbench small bug fix

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench small bug fix
Date: 2016-03-04 15:26:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> > Attached is a v3 which test integers more logically. I'm a lazy
> > programmer who tends to minimize the number of key strokes.
>
> Well. From what I can tell this patch is Ready for Committer.

I'm not a fan of this approach either. Would it be too complicated if
we had a global variable that indicates which thread is the progress
reporter? We start that with thread 0, but if the reporter thread
finishes its transactions then it elects some other thread which hasn't
yet finished. For this to work, each thread would have to maintain in a
global variable whether it has finished or not.