Re: On columnar storage (2)

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bert <biertie(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On columnar storage (2)
Date: 2016-03-03 14:43:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> The performance report is taken on the patch that is WIP columnar storage
> on PostgreSQL database. Only the storage part of the code is finished.
> To test the performance, we used custom plan to generate the plans
> where it can use the columnar storage. This way we ran the performance
> test.

Quickly eyeballing your results I think they are similar to ours: there
are some performance gains but nothing spectacular. That's why I want
to take another, more invasive approach that buys us more. The wiki
page I'm to write will describe our rough plan for that. Your input on
that will be appreciated.

> I want to integrate this patch with syntax proposed by Alvaro for columnar
> storage and share it with community, before that i want to share the current
> storage design with the community for review by preparing some readme
> file. I will try to send this soon.

Please do, thanks.